Language as an Indicator of Pimp Controlled Sexual Exploitation
Words Specific to Pimp Controlled Sexual Exploitation
- Pimps, Traffickers, Arrangers, Madams: Anyone who persuades others to become involved in the sex trade, or benefits from others involvement in the sex trade. Can be a stranger, family member, or intimate partner. Not always men.
- Hustling: Slang term for pimping.
- Finesse Pimp: A pimp who uses psychological manipulation as his primary means of control.
- Guerrilla Pimp: A pimp who uses violence as his primary means of control.
- Daddy: Refers to a prostituted woman’s own pimp. Intended to reinforce a perceived status as “the provider.”
- Bottom Girl/Bottom Bitch: Street language referring to female associate who is at the top of the hierarchy of the women/girls controlled by a pimp. The bottom is said to be the foundation that the “family” can be built upon.
- Folks/Family: Slang term describing one’s pimp and/or the unit as the pimp and other individuals under his control.
- Stable: Demeaning slang term referring to the multiple individuals a pimp may be exploiting at one time. Reinforces the concept of ownership and the dehumanization of the individuals who are being exploited.
- Wife in Law: Another woman who works for the same pimp.
- P.I.: Street term used to reference a pimp other than one’s own.
- Breaking/Breaking Bread: Slang term meaning giving all of one’s money to one’s pimp.
- Seasoning: When a pimp rapes, beats, manipulates, and intimidates in order to break down a victim.
- Pimp Circle: A group of pimps surrounding an individual for the purposes of intimidation.
- Turning Out: Slang term referring to the recruitment process of initiating someone into the sex trade.
- Turning Out Folks: Refers to the pimps who first put the victims on the street.
- Choosing Up: When a victim makes direct eye contact with a pimp who does not “own” her, or when another pimp manipulates a victim into going with him. The victim has to give her new pimp all of the money she made for the old pimp that evening.
- Reckless Eyeballing: Looking into a pimp’s eyes, which then can cause choosing up or kidnapping for ransom.
- Automatic Bar: Refers to a “robotic” state of being induced by severe manipulation, whereby the victim continues to perform sexual favors without being watched by her pimp.
- Branded/Branding: When a pimp tattoos his/her name on the victim.
- Brothel: A form of indoor prostitution where a group of women are engaged in prostitution in the same location.
- Club Based Prostitution: A form of indoor prostitution. Prostitution is arranged for customers of the bar or club and may occur on premises.
- Coercion: Threats of serious harm to, or physical restraint against, any person. Also any scheme, plan, or pattern intended to cause a person to believe that failure to perform an act would result in serious harm to, physical restraint against, or legal action against oneself or someone else.
- Commercial Sex Act: Any sex act on account of which something of value is given to or received in exchange for such act.
- CSEC: Acronym for Commercial Sexual Exploitation of Children. Any situation in which a child is induced to perform sexual acts by a third party who profits.
- Curb Crawling/Curb Crawler: Driving slowly down the street with the intent to pick up a prostituted individual. Also spelled “Kerb Crawling.”
- Drug House: A form of indoor prostitution where sex is exchanged for drugs.
- Escort Service: A form of indoor prostitution where “dates” are arranged through an organized service.
- Exotic Dancing: Nude or semi-nude dancing in a club or bar. Can serve as a front for a trafficking and/or a prostitution operation.
- The Game/The Life: Slang term used to describe the sex trade.
- Hotels: A venue for indoor prostitution. Prostitution is often on sale for hourly rates.
- Indoor Prostitution: Venues for prostitution located inside. It is less visible, but far more common than street prostitution. Types of indoor prostitution may include massage parlors, strip clubs, hotels, bar or club based prostitution, brothels, escort services, and internet arranged prostitution.
- Johns: Slang term to refer to those who purchase commercial sex acts including pornography.
- The Life: Being involved in pimp control.
- Lot Lizard: A derogatory term for a person who is being prostituted at truck stops.
- Massage Parlor or Health Spa: Often serve as fronts for prostitution and/or trafficking operations. Common indoor venue where commercial sexual activity takes place.
- Prostitution, Prostituted Woman, Someone Impacted by the Sex Trade: The exchange of sexual activity for something of value, which could include money, drugs, food, housing, or other survival needs. Derogatory slang to describe this include hooker, ho, streetwalker, etc.
- Quota: An amount of money a victim must provide to her trafficker/pimp every night.
- Renegade: Someone who is involved in prostitution of his or her own accord and has no pimp.
- Runaway/Kiddie Track: A specific area where young girls usually ages 11-16 are sent by their trafficker/pimp to earn money.
- Severe form of trafficking: Sex Trafficking in which a commercial sex act is induced by force, fraud, or coercion, or in which the person induced to perform such acts has not attained 18 years of age. This is also used to refer to the recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, or obtaining of a person for labor or services, through the use of force, fraud, or coercion for the purpose of subjection to involuntary servitude, peonage, debt bondage, or slavery.
- Sex Trade Industry: A multi-billion dollar industry that includes street prostitution, escort services, massage parlors, strip clubs, adult and child pornography, and prostitution tourism.
- Sex Trafficking: The recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, or obtaining of a person for the purpose of a commercial sex act.
- Street Prostitution: Prostitution in which purchasers solicit individuals on the street, the most visible form of prostitution.
- Squaring Up: Getting away from the trafficking situation.
- Track/Stroll: Slang term referring to an area where street prostitution occurs.
- Trick/Date: Signifies either a person buying a victim, or the act of prostitution.